Monday 13 November 2017

No I Won't Watch A Christmas Movie, I Won't Watch A Christmas Movie....Oh Alright Then


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well it's Sunday. Lunch has been eaten. We're not going out. Nothing planned....what to do? I've no idea. Might as well start reading Thomas Wolfe.

But wife/daughter have plans.

"Let's spend the afternoon watching Christmas movies" they say. Channel 5 are showing three,count them three Xmas movies in what's not even the middle of November and they want me to watch it with them.

As regular readers will know I'm not a Christmas person at the best of times. But definitely not now. I refuse. I'm adamant. They start watching Christmas movie number one. But not me. Ear pieces are on. I listen to the latest Backlisted Podcast. It's on R F Delderfield. Bit ironic that. My mother has a few of his books. Could have had a look last week.

They look daggers at me. But bah humbug to that. Can't say I don't catch bits of it though as cups of tea need to be made. Apparently this blonde woman is torn between career and the love of her life which can only be solved when she discovers the true meaning of Christmas. With the help of Christopher Lloyd and William Shatner (why were they in this rubbish? Blackmail?) as the Santa figure.

Shatner's involvement prompts an astonished remark from my daughter.

"He is Captain Kirk?"

I didn't understand why she made that remark. Then I realised that she was thinking of Chris Pine.

Anyway that was movie one. Up comes movie two. I  know what I'm going to do here. I'm going to take a nap.

So I see it and then slowly nod off. I can hear through the nap my wife speaking.

"Don't bother waking him up. He'll regret these lost moments with his family".

I know that of all the regrets I have in my life. That will not be one of them.

As for the movie. Well on the bits I saw when I was awake the North Pole was in trouble and a young elf went to a boy's house to help him find the true meaning of Christmas. Apparently the council will not light up the town's Xmas tree.

I think you see where this is going.

As for "famous person who was obviously blackmailed to appear in this movie" I give you in the role of Santa Robert Wagner.

And to the final film, where I pretended to watch sport on the laptop, Deck The Halls starring Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito. It was the most Hollywood and most expensive of the three and basically it was about two neighbours who fought to be the best decorated house until they find the true meaning of Christmas.

I avoided these Christmas films. To those of you who say I'm a Scrooge well Bah Humbug. You wouldn't get me to watch these awful movies if I can help it. Anyway it's November, remember that folks.

So I win. But.....

But then my daughter falls ill. I won't say what happened to her. That's personal. All I need to say is that she's fine now. Just one of those one day things.

It's now Monday. Daughter is feeling better and is in front of the TV. Another Christmas film. She asks that I watch it with her and the wife. Daughter knows from an early age that when she's unwell mum, and in this case dad, will give in to anything.

So I watched it.

Moonlights and Mistletoe. About a successful woman who has to go back home to her father's declining Santa theme park called "Santaville" when he has an accident. There she discovers the true meaning of Christmas. It's interesting that two of the movies I've seen involves women changing the course of their lives if it wasn't for Christmas. Not sure whether it means anything but worth mentioning.

Anyway it was soppy rubbish. As to who seemed to have the blackmail note, I give you Tom Arnold as the father.

But I watched it anyway. A Christmas movie in November.

To those who believe it then it was a Christmas miracle.

To me it was just part of the Dad service.

Until the next time.



















No comments:

Post a Comment