Saturday 21 October 2017

Why Being A West Ham Fan Living In Wales And Working An Afternoon Evening Shift May Be The Best Thing Right Now


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

So yesterday I was working the afternoon evening shift at work. Didn't to be honest have much thoughts about anything except just making sure I did my job and looking at the weather outside. I'd thought from the forecast I saw that Friday was going to be the calm before the storm....literally. That storm's name was Brian and apparently he was coming in the next day.

(What a name for Storm eh? Brian. Suggests that it will come in and reek havoc whilst discussing train timetables and wearing slippers)

As it happened Friday night weather wise wasn't that great either. Rain and wind with skies that darkened early. It was the gale before the storm.

And work was well, work. Left at around ten. The journey back to the apartment, which would normally take me thirty minutes took longer because the roads were treacherous due to the rain. Eventually though I made it. Wife/daughter were asleep (Daughter asleep? On a Friday? Is she unwell? Thankfully not).

I get out my Kindle tablet open the Alexa app and ask for a "flash briefing" which is Amazon's flash term for news headlines. Essentially then Theresa May is quite close to begging the EU to move quicker whilst at the same time slowly backing away from the hard line she originally gave. The Prime Minister really is incompetent wrapped in a professional wrapping.

Then I ask for a "Sports Update". I'd been speaking to a Swansea City fan that evening and had realised was unaware who West Ham were playing that weekend.

Well West Ham were not playing anyone during the weekend.
They had already played that evening.
They played Brighton...at home.....
,,,,and had lost three nil!!!

To lose at home is bad enough, to lose against a team that you should have at beaten is worse but to lose at home against a team that you should have beaten by three goals is just beyond. Is this the same Slaven Bilic who just two seasons ago had led us into Europe? Have West Ham just decided to go for a similar Brexit from the Premiership? For it does appear from a distance that way.

What is happening?

I am saved the smug comments from Arsenal fans had I still been living in London. Though for those who know me here in South Wales I'm probably the only West Ham fan they know. Have to prepare for that.

Still even from this distance I still feel the embarrassment and yes the shame. For just like Brexit the cliff edge of relegation is appearing and no one seems to know how to stop it.

Something has got to be done, quickly as well.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment