Sunday 6 November 2016

Ellery Queen And The Mystery Of My Front Teeth (With Added EU)


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

You may remember that I mentioned in my last post that I had a problem with my teeth after eating a "Hearty Italian" baguette in Subway a week ago.One of my front teeth is slightly chipped at the bottom and the other has a mark across it like a crack in a window. Despite it's look though there is no wobble. They're still hanging on there.

The worst part though are the gums which have ballooned worryingly as if it was a photograph taken from the air of Mars.Exercise for the week has been throwing Corsodyl at my mouth.

I'm not saying that my teeth were perfect beforehand but this ratcheted up the worry level.

Well Friday I'm at the dentists for a pre arranged appointment before all of this occurred. As usual I took a book with me, the Ellery Queen, to read whilst I wait to be called to my doom. It's alright as entertainment if your brain doesn't go beyond first gear. Mind you like a standard black and white film of the thirties it doesn't wear it's age well. Neither you could say did I at that moment.

I'd read about three chapters when someone I knew entered the dentist. He was a father of a girl in my daughter's school. Hadn't seen him in a few years. We were friendly without being friends.

We exchanged greetings and I enquired then how "the lady wife" was. There were two reasons for this. Firstly it's the standard thing you say to a man when his partner's name escapes your mind. Secondly however was curious how she was. Because her high powered and high paid (compared to me) job was working to promote the EU in Wales. She may not be the first person to be made redundant because of Brexit but she was one of the first who knew that she was going to be.

She is apparently alright but "angry" at the referendum result. I have seen her at work a couple of times. Such as being at an EU stall in an Eisteddfod about ten years ago. She loved her work, and now it was just going to go away.

He personally did not understand how Wales as a whole voted to leave. I suggested my theory, which I've mentioned in this blog before that nothing powers the right/far right more than the perception (doesn't matter if it's true or not)of unfettered immigration.

He nodded and then said "Britain is entering interesting times"

Now what I haven't mentioned until now is that the gentleman is Anglo Chinese. Now I'm saying this because there's a Chinese curse which goes "May you live in interesting times".

Mention this. He smiles and then proceeds to repeat the sentence. At that moment a nurse calls my name. I'm being summoned. We bid each other goodbye

As for my front teeth? It appears they experienced a "food trauma" in the reaction to the Subway baguette. I had thought food trauma was how I act to olives in pasta. Obviously now know better. The crack on the tooth was a filling which I had in when I last had a traumatic experience with food it appears. And my teeth will still be there with plenty of extra brushing,corsodyl and flossing. I leave there with my teeth relatively OK and not as damaged as I feared......for now anyway.

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment