Sunday 27 November 2016

In Early Shift Days and Longer Nights The Surprising Winner Is George Orwell


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

For the past four days I've been working the early shift at work. Six in the morning until two in the afternoon to be precise. In terms of reading haven't done that much during this period because, if you've been lucky enough not to have worked outside the nine to five, what you get is a sort of minor jet lag.

So on this case I wake up fine, do my job, drive home, have a sandwich and in front of the television proceed to nod off between two forty five until half past three when a sort of mental alarm clock jolts me up with a reminder that I need to pick up my daughter from the school bus. I don't mean to nod off you understand. It just sneaks up and takes over.

I'll come back to that waiting for a god awful long time school bus in a moment. Let's just finish off by saying that during these early shift days I'm ok between four and seven thirty when I have to prepare for the next day and then get ready to sleep around an hour's later.

So you see reading wise I've not really had the chance expect that it for the Kindle. It had not occurred to me whilst waiting for my daughter from school that even at around four o'clock the light begins to difficult to read the current "car book" I have from Alan Coren. So the Kindle with it's backlight comes into it's own as well of course reading in the evening and the collected essays of George Orwell was finished.

Being "collected essays" there were some I liked and others I didn't but on the whole I liked it. There were important political stuff (though I didn't agree with his definition of Welsh nationalism) but it was the range that impressed me the most. He could write articles on politics one moment then working in a bookshop the next. What also interested me were his demolition jobs on Kipling (who I've never read) and H G Wells (who, based on the books I've read I don't like).

So the next book on great electronic unread is My Dining Hell (a Penguin ebook special) by Jay Rayner. A slight tome which basically seems to be a selection of his worst experiences as restaurant critic of The Observer newspaper. To be honest only bought it to finish off the last bit of an Amazon gift voucher given on my birthday so I don't have high expectations.

Until the next time


No comments:

Post a Comment