Wednesday 9 November 2016

The Hunt For A Christmas Day Restaurant (Part 1).....Or So I Thought


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well it's been an interesting day to wake up and discover that the USA has voted for a president where apparently the only immigrants that will be welcomed will be bricklayers. We in Britain who didn't vote Brexit commiserate with those of you in America who didn't vote Trump as you join us in the dark age.

But that is for January, the immediate problem is Christmas.

Yes I know what I said about Christmas in November but the wife has said that she doesn't want to cook the dinner on December 25th, which is fair enough. She normally takes this burden on (and produces a truly outstanding result) and so couldn't argue with her on this.

The trouble is, before any of you say why I don't man up and do the dinner myself, is that even if I was [insert TV cook here] which I am most certainly not......I'm going to be working on Christmas day morning.

Now I know that my wife would eventually do the meal if I just left the situation as it stands at present. But I don't want that, which is why today I started the hunt for a restaurant open on Christmas day.

So the first stop was the nearby village of Laleston. If you're a regular to this blog you may remember the last time this place was mentioned was in the summer when I visited the summer fete after a trip to the rubbish tip dirty with ripped jeans and bought a copy of J B Priestley plays and a volume of Michael Palin diaries......as you do. This time I was more decently dressed.


A nice place this
With A Proper Looking Church

It's not immune to austerity though below is a picture of a pub/restaurant that was apparently run by a winner of Masterchef. It has been closed for over a year.

Sad This

I was there to have a look at the local pub/restaurant The Mackworth Arms whose food was recommended to me. It was two thirty in the afternoon....and it was closed. How on earth does a pub close in the afternoon? I looked at the window. There was a Christmas menu but not a Christmas Day menu. I don't think they're open on Christmas Day. Same thing for the Spanish restaurant next door. 

I went to the hotel nearby. They are closed on Christmas Day. A hotel closed? How is that possible?

So I planned to go to Cowbridge tomorrow and have a look at some places nearby, I say I planned because when the wife came home after seeing a friend she's told me that some friends on their own this Christmas will be coming round...and she'll be cooking !!!

Husbands really can't win. Especially when you try your best.

Until the next time.




















No comments:

Post a Comment