Friday 18 November 2016

I'm Going To Repeat Myself In This Post....Sorry About That


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well I'm writing this at 3:32am on a Friday morning. Insomnia me as arrived for two days in a row, I've put a recording of last Sunday's match in the Irn Bru cup (yes there is such a thing as I've learnt  last week) between the Scottish team Livingston and the Welsh team The New Saints on the TV. The DVR, and the video recorder before it, is really the insomniac's best friend.

Anyway yesterday finished the last two of the library books I took out a few weeks back. So going to begin by giving you a warning that on the first book I'm about to repeat myself. But it's worth saying.

Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend is absolutely brilliant. Off the top of my head she was the last popular writer that I can recall. Not popular in the bestselling sense (though she was that) but in that she could appeal to a wide range of people whilst in a humorous way give us a not always flattering picture of Britain. She is unfortunately no longer with us and she is missed.

Now that I've finished Tiny Stations by Dixe Wills I feel that I should make a new shelf to put this book in and mark it "curate's egg".

The book is about his journey through the "request stop" train stations in Britain. This is the first problem. For he doesn't visit all of these all of these places, not even half and I felt cheated by that. To be fair that isn't necessarily Dixe Wells' fault more the person who wrote the blurb. Still it created a problem for me from the start.

Secondly when describing the individual history of these stations he can be a bit trainspottery (or rather trainstationspottery). Clearly Wells did his research but it could have done with a bit of editing if you ask me.

However when he writes about his experiences at the stations and the surrounding area it is interesting and worth the read. Those were the bits I enjoyed. To be honest I think this is the sort of book that you would have been dissatisfied with if you'd bought it but feel perfectly OK with if borrowed from the library or received as a gift.

So today I'm amongst other things off to the library to bring these books back and to borrow the next football book. I'm three days late so will have to pay a fine. The wild and criminal things I do just to finish a couple of books.

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment