Saturday 16 December 2017

Christmas Catches Up With All Of Us....Even If We Don't Want It


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well just over a week until Christmas day. Done my best to put my head in the sand but it has the unfortunate ability to seep through whatever mental blocks that I've tried to put in it's way.

Of course having a wife, mother and daughter who are more ho ho ho than my ho ho humbug doesn't help. Indeed at time of writing I might have to drive to Essex to pick up my mother and drive her back to Wales. As the cataract operation has made her feel woozy and lightheaded. Apparently this was caused by inadequate spectacles which she now has but has to get used to in time.

So you see the point is that if I do have to take my mother back to Wales on the Eve, I'll be literally "Driving Home For Christmas". A fact that almost makes me want to vomit.

There are other issues. I feel honour bound to get presents. Have got most of them and intend to finish it off early next week. Wife/mother/daughter say they haven't bought much for me. I've told them "Get me a £15 Amazon voucher" and I'm happy enough.

On Monday will get Christmas cards for wife and mother. Unlike my wife the wording in a Christmas card is of no real interest to me. As long as it says wife or mother, mentions Xmas and doesn't look stupid it could have the football scores in it I wouldn't notice. Basically I judge a card by it's cover.

(As a quick aside we've taken a gamble as to my mother's present. It's an Amazon Echo Dot. Makes a change from a Marks and Spencer gift voucher. The idea is to install it in the middle of next month when it's my intention to come down for when her left eye has the Cataract operation. Not sure whether she'll use it. But it makes a change)

I'm working on Christmas Day. But surprisingly that brings it's own problems. Wife/daughter/mother will be at my brother-in-law's and partner's house for Christmas dinner with them and her family and friends. Now I'm happy about this as they will be having a festive meal which is what they wanted.

However I'm finishing work at six and will arrive back to the apartment at around six forty. Wife/daughter/mother/brother-in-law etc want me to come back to his place and spend the remainder of Christmas with them. Whilst I have absolutely nothing against my brother-in-law or his family and am genuinely grateful for their offer the idea of coming to their house relatively late,tired and having a meal that everyone else has had already whilst starting being "Christmassy" does not appeal. No I'd rather be by myself with microwave Spaghetti and a cup of tea thankyou very much.

Yes I know I'm the weird one. Not them. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who whilst he doesn't want to spoil other people's enjoyment of the season (especially children's) wishes to spend it as quietly and discreetly as possible

But perhaps I am.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment