Saturday 23 December 2017

On Books: Including One Which Seems To Quietly Go Mad


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Finished The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne. It reminded me of Don Quixote and Les Miserables where it appeared that though there was a basic plot Sterne seemed to throw in every piece of writing he ever did and somehow shoehorn it into the book.

It's a novel celebrated for being freewheeling in style. Personally for me it was as effective as a three wheeled car. You can guess that I didn't like it.

The next ebook is rather interesting. It's Letters on Sweden, Norway and Denmark by Mary Wollstonecraft (Mary Shelley). Thing about it is this. Whenever I watch anything about Mary, there always seems to be something along the lines of anything she wrote aside from Frankenstein was rubbish so this is a good test.

As for my recent library book borrowings, there were two. Firstly:

Annie Prolux - Barkskins

This is a brick sized book. It's going to take me a long while to read it. Unlike.....

Things That Are - Amy Leach
This is a book of essays about animals, plants and stars. It's also weird. I really wish I could break copyright and give you examples of the odd sentences that Ms Leach makes. Best I can tell you is that I challenge any reader of this book to say that there wasn't at least one example in every chapter where you thought "What on Earth is she writing?"

or

"Is she on drugs?"

If this book was a person it would be the sort of eccentric that's no harm to others but talks no sense whatsoever when you speak to them. You just nod as they go on not understanding anything that is being said.

And to think that in 2013 there were people who paid £12 for this.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment