Sunday 24 December 2017

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning Alone And Rambling


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

It's Saturday night. I'm alone as wife/daughter have gone out to see a friend for the evening. I'm not going as my knee that I had the accident on Wednesday is still not feeling 100% and is uncomfortable on car journeys. I can do it if need be. But this was the first day I could properly rest it since the incident when I tripped and fell on the hard floor at work and so just wanted it to recover. Which it is. But slowly.

Nothing to watch on TV. Have a batch of Columbo episodes on the DVR. But they're waiting for Christmas Day when I return from work. But I'll chat about that another time.

The quietness is extraordinary. Either I'm the only person in the entire block staying in on a Saturday night (possible) or else this place is soundproofed to a high standard.

I find myself looking at mail. Enterprise Rentacar. Which I used as part of the motor insurance for the recent accident. Not my fault. Out of date now anyway as everything was done. Binned.

Try to activate my new Nectar card....Yes I'm THAT bored. Screen says, and remember that it's my newly arrived card UNABLE TO VERIFY YOUR DETAILS. PLEASE CONTACT THE CALL CENTRE. And it was THEY WHO SENT IT TO ME!!! Won't bother with that until the new year.

A lot of mail has been got through. Wife will be happy (though will also mention I should have done it a lot sooner.

Have also downloaded a load of books (all free) from recommendations by Robert Macfarlane's book The Old Ways. Particularly noticeable is George Borrow. I think I've done about eighty!!!

Ten pm. Daughter rings. They're coming back. Find myself starting to watch Columbo but am really too sleepy to pay much attention.

It's now Sunday morning just after seven. Have woken up before everyone else. As I make breakfast I still feel my knee. It's still not quite right.

The news leads on the fact that war with North Korea is likely. So I assume saying Merry Christmas/Nadolig Llawen to them won't help. Presumably twinning with a possible nuclear war is the sky which though dark is beginning to show a red dawn.

Oh and by the way shepherds....you have been warned.

Of course it's quiet out there. Apart from seagulls. They don't care for Christmas either.

Find myself on Twitter mocking people whose views are to the right of Ghengis Khan. Really,really don't care.

I hear voices. It's from the apartment opposite. If looks are anything to go by they're recovering from the party the night before. Genuinely not jealous. After all I didn't hear the party the night before....and I doubt would've gone anyway.

Seven fifty seven. Weather is daylight enough for me to switch the lights off. Only now do I register it's Christmas Eve.

Wife is awake. It's eight eighteen. Some people are coming over so some vacuuming needs to be done. Otherwise I think today is for a spot of reading.

Until the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment