Wednesday 8 May 2019

A Tale Of Two Babies


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

A good measure of the decline of the Disunited Kingdom post Brexit is the over the top coverage of the recent birth of Prince Harold and as the Daily Star memorably put it (and I'd never thought I'd recommend the Daily Star) "an American Actress".

The BBC, long thought of as a broadcasting pinnacle in Britain and around the world basically produced what could be best described as broadcasting as curtsy. As for the rest of the media, with the exception of the Daily Star (and I would assume the Morning Star as well) we basically got the idea that this (at time of writing) unphotographed and unnamed boy is some sort of Rockstar.

Even if I was a Monarchist (which regular readers will know I'm not) it was really all too much for a child who let's face it is just seventh in line to the throne.

Now let me make it clear before I go on that I'm genuinely happy mother and baby are fine.

Otherwise....I DON'T CARE!!!!

Why should I care for a child who will never experience the pains of unemployment, worry about foodbanks or homelessness all because he has been born into the biggest state funded family in Britain?

After all if Harold and Meghan were an ordinary family struggling to make ends meet and sort Universal Credit you know rightwhingers would have a go at them. But because it's the Royal family well that's all right.

I know of a man in his twenties since he was a baby. He is preparing with his partner for the birth of their first child in September. Other than the personal realisation of how time flies the other thought is that the child will be born close to the first blast of Brexit. They won't be shielded from it's effects. Especially if it turns out to be a long dark Brexit of the Soul. The Royal baby will be though.

The costs of bringing up a child are huge for ordinary families. But they will get worse post Brexit.

Of course I think the man I know will make a good dad, his partner seems to have her head screwed on straight as well. But no one can really tell yet. Parenting provides pressures, some of them unexpected. Whilst people will be there to help that help is not of the unlimited variety the regal parents will get.

So forgive me if I don't gush. For most of us. Reality bites.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment