Tuesday 21 May 2019

The Insomniac's Meanderings Post: Just Over An Hour To Chat Edition


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I must admit I didn't intend to blog today. Various things meant that I really didn't have the time. However insomnia has come to the aid in that regard. Though not to my sleep of course. Nonetheless I have just over an hour to meander. Though not enough time to do anything more constructive.

There is a poll with regard to the forthcoming elections to the European parliament putting the Brexit Party in the lead. Won't really comment on them now except that they could prove if accurate a turning point in the politics......for Plaid Cymru. However as they say the real poll is on Thursday so we'll wait to chat about that until the results are out. Except that if proven correct it backs my assertion in this blog that the fight for the soul of Wales is between these two parties and tellingly not those currently in power in Westminster and Cardiff Bay.

The political news on Monday is that the leader of The Brexit Party Nigel Farage had a milkshake thrown at him. His reaction was to blame "radicalised remainers". Two things need to be said here. One part of me laughs my head off. A taste of the Britain today that he has helped create in dairy form comes to attack him. Good. The Britain of today whose atmosphere caused the murder of MP Jo Cox.

However another thought entered my brain. It's that if someone had actually killed Farage then the far right would have gained a martyr. And the phrase "be careful what you wish for" enters my brain.

You may remember last year I suggested a potential timebomb of anti- English sentiment in South Wales (specifically housing) because of the combination of the lack of social housing and the raising of the tolls by Secretary of State Alun "Chucky" Cairns of the Geraint Thomas bridge thus English people buy cheaper housing in the area and then commute to, say Bristol, for work? Causing I'd argue pent up frustration around Newport?

Well it has happened yet. Neither did I expect it to. These things take time. But I still hold to my arguments.

However the North Walian version of this has occurred. This time in the new Wrexham to Chester Railway line. Direct services have now been restored for the first time for forty years. Both Chucky and Labour Welsh finance minister  AM Ken Skates are happy. But have the potential social consequences been analysed? Bet they haven't.

I've had breakfast. And yes it was croissants. I'm a non-conformist and proud of it.

Until the next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment