Monday 6 May 2019

The Bells Palsy Post


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

As you get older certain events, relatively minor in themselves, jog you into remembering the past. Although this is something that will carry with me through my dying day it's back story is something I'd forgotten until yesterday.

So the wife (not I) was channel surfing and she stopped at the BBC News channel to wait for the headlines. A report was on when suddenly the words "Bell's Palsy" were mentioned. I, who wasn't watching at that moment stopped. Unfortunately as is always the way when you find a programme you're interested in through surfing the TV there wasn't enough time to fully gauge what was being said. It just mentioned that someone was starting to help others who had the affliction. Whoever you are I wish you all the best.

For I've had it twice.

I remember the first time. It was in the early nineties. I was living with my mother in the twilight zone of Essex and East London that is Redbridge. It was after having watched a John Wayne film on the TV called "Back To Bataan" and my left eye started to cry.

I recall thinking it was odd. After all it wasn't that type of movie.

But the crying continued and was joined by the dropping of one side of my face.It was as if that side was starting to melt.

My mother slapped me on the affected side. She knew that if I didn't feel anything it meant I was having a stroke.I felt it.

So obviously I went to the doctor. Who told me that I was suffering from Bell's Palsy. I was put on medication and had to wear an eye patch. The closest I've ever been to the life of a pirate. So that the muscles in that side of my face didn't stall through lack of use I had to use a massager for (I think) about ten minutes. It was a hand held machine with a square pad in the end that you held to your face. It was a good thing tablet computers were not invented then.

It took me a long time (about a month) before I could return to work and even then I wasn't completely recovered until a lot later. Remember shocking people by raising my eyebrows revealing one that stubbornly didn't move up to synchronise with the other.

Then, this time in the late nineties, when I was now in Cardiff living with the wife it started again but on the right side of my face. I can't remember how it started but I did know what was happening to me given what occurred earlier in the decade.

I'm told that cases of people having Bell's Palsy twice  are rare.....well lucky me!

Everything repeated itself except one. The palsy did not completely go away. No one would really know until I smile. Then half my face appears lopsided.

I am, honestly, not a vain man. But I rarely allow photos to be taken anymore because it upsets me. I know how I look to others. It explains why the profile pic is probably as bland as it is and will never be changed. This upsets my daughter. I've compromised. I've told her she can take as many photos as she wishes but not to show them to anyone else until after I'm dead (wouldn't care then).

I know that there are people in a worse situation than myself because of Bell's Palsy. I also know that as disabilities go it's on the lower end of the league table. Still it can effect your mental well being and self confidence so it does need addressing to those who suffer from it and more could and should be done in this regard.

Until the next time













No comments:

Post a Comment