Monday 20 May 2019

The Best Science Book I've Read This Year. I'm Still Thick Though


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well let's start with the latest science book I've read then. Borrowed from the library.

Relax. Nothing to do with Brexit

Regular readers will know that I'm not the greatest reader of science books as despite looking like I was born with a white coat it has passed me by. Nonetheless as a reader when chatting about the past few science books in this blog I've been irritated by the promise of being accessible to everyone when doing anything but.

Mr Flannery's book makes no such claim and I'll come back to that point later. But it is for the most part accessible. The reason being is that (as I've mentioned before) he makes the science human by giving us a background on some of the (mainly) palentologists who made ground breaking discoveries in this field. And, let's be clear here whilst I won't go into detail scientests are weird.

And this is all to do with natural history he can make the history of the wolf in Europe (aka domesticated dogs) interesting. Also he does this with a certain level of humour.

I would admit that there came a point in the middle of the book where the science part came in heavily and oh my brain hurt. But let's be clear here this is my ignorance and not his. And I felt I rejoined the fold when coming to the chapter analysing cave drawing. That was eye opening.

I've read subsequentally an Amazon review challenging some of the science. That I really cannot comment on. As a reader I felt engaged with this book more than any other science book I've read this year.

Though I know I'm still thick though.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment